Sunday, March 14, 2010

Introduction

Hi Everyone,
I decided to make a blog about programming for the iPhone because I find it fun to pick up and learn a new language. Sometimes when things are going well I like to tell people, or show them how the programming is going. Usually though, what was a great victory for me looks pretty trivial if it was done well, so everybody very politely acts impressed, but really, it isn't that exciting for them.

Here though, maybe I will find some people who want to learn these things, or people who can teach me a few things too. I have no formal training, just a couple books I bought, Stack Overflow, and the vast libraries of the Mac Dev Center.

The Mac Dev Center - if you are not familiar with it - contains hundreds of helpful articles about all aspects of programming that will happily tell you that you should make sure you understand the meaning of life, the origin of the universe, general relativity, and what the hell happened in Syriana before attempting to read and understand the article.

Nevertheless, I managed to get this far, and I plan to learn more. I want to start from the top with something really simple, but not too simple. If you don't know anything about Objective C, I highly recommend Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan.

If you don't know the first thing about programming for iPhone, but you understand a bit about Objective C, check back soon and I'll start from the top.

Side-note: I have no intention of writing code for pre OS 3.0 iPhones, it seems like a waste. If you paid $699 for the phone, fork the extra $10 for the upgrade.

Up next: Outlets and Actions - Interface Builder First Steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment